The National Irrigation Administration (NIA) is a Government-Owned and Controlled Corporation created by the passage of Republic Act 3601 which was signed into law on June 22, 1963 by President Diosdado Macapagal. Its forerunner was the Irrigation Division of the defunct Bureau of Public Works Presidential Decree No. 1 dated September 23, 1972 integrated all irrigation activites under NIA. The Agency’s powers were broadened and capitalization increased from P300M to P2Billion by P.D. 552 on September 11, 1974. Capitalization was further increased P10 Billion under P.D. 1702 on July 18, 1980. The central office is presently located at the government center of EDSA, Diliman, Quezon City.
By 2022, NIA is a professional and efficient irrigation agency contributing to the inclusive growth of the country and in the improvement of the farmers’ quality of life.
To plan, construct, operate and maintain irrigation systems consistent with integrated water resource management principles to improve agricultural productivity and increase farmers’ income.
• Increased Irrigated Areas Contributing to Agriculutural Productivity
• Attained Satisfaction of Farmers
• Improved Planning, Design and Implementation of Irrigation and Multi-purpose Projects to be Climate Change Adaptive
• Ensured Efficient Operation and Maintenance of Irrigation Systems
• Improved Budget Utilization and Revenue Generation from non-irrigation
• Adopted a Results-Based Performance Culture and
• Improved Management Information Systems and Processes
♦Commitment ♦ Integrity ♦ Professionalism
We commit to provide efficient, effective, and sustainable irrigation services aimed towards the highest satisfaction of the Filipino farmers.
We Strive for the attainment of our strategic themes of Technical and Operational Exellence, and Good Governance through Partnership with the farmers and other relevant interested parties.
We abide with applicable legal and international requirements.
We remain dedicated to the core values of Commitment, Intergrity and Professionalism, to continually improve the NIA's Quality Management System.
“Ang NIA at MAGSASAKA, magkatuwang sa GINHAWA.”